International Youth Exchange
“Recycling – how and why?!”
01-10. 06. 2020
In the picturesque Renaissance town of Tryavna, situated in central Bulgaria, 40 young people from 8 different organizations and countries will join together for a common cause – the fight against the waste of water and usage of plastics in our daily lives.
The main need that motivates young people to think about this is the worrying statistics that are constantly being read on the internet or watched on television. At the same time, they feel powerless to change something, because even their parents often do not think in this direction.
Through this project, we expect to raise public awareness much more, because it is in the interest of all of us to take care of the environment.
The main objectives of the project are:
– Raising their desire to combat environmental pollution.
– Raising awareness of the people about ways to reduce the use of water and plastic in our daily lives.
– Raising awareness of the people about the processes running at a wastewater treatment plant.
– Raise awareness of the processes happening in a waste disposal depot.
– Creating a brochure that can be used as an information guide that will provide practical examples of reducing the use of water and plastic in our daily lives.
– Raising their knowledge of the Erasmus + program and how they can benefit from it in their future personal and professional development.
– Increasing their knowledge in the field of project idea development.
– Promote their active citizenship.
This project is the first part of a long-lasting and extensive information campaign. The next steps will be focusing on the use of paper, metal and glass, then the various renewable sources of electricity, and we plan to close the training cycle with living gardens and permaculture.
We decided to start with this project because the majority of young people think that it is quite a serious problem, a solution that can be found very easily and they think that the results can be seen and reported more easily.
The main method used will be “learning by doing”. The ways of presenting and teaching will be in different ways stimulating the different ways of learning – through writing, reading, music and so on.
They are based on the Cone of Experience (a model for explaining how audio-visual methods contribute to learning invented by American education expert Edgar Dale).
The following activities will be organized according to the methods used for them:
- Energizers and Icebreakers. Each day, for 10-15 minutes before each session, participants will optionally present a game. Their aim is to raise the mood and energy level of the participants, to awaken and encourage them. The games are fun and easy, testing their concentration, reflexes speed, rational and fast thinking, etc.
- Teambuilding games (including logic games and decision-making games). The purpose of these games is to provoke the teamwork of the participants and thus to turn the participants from “strangers to each other” into teammates to support and help each other. Logic games are intended to provoke them to think critically and to seek solutions to a problem, through discussions and compromises.
- Presentations and discussions. Their purpose is to encourage young people to express and defend their opinions, as well as to improve their oratorical and organizational skills. Also encourage them to think critically and ask questions in front of many people when something is not clear to them. But the most important aspect is the public speaking because many people are worried about it and don’t ask questions and present and defend their own opinions. They will be implemented in a formal and informal way. Formal will be the official presentation of statistics, information on a certain problem, visits to both facilities, etc. And the informal ones, through theater, drama, music, etc.
- Creative activities. When creating the brochure and daily publications to disseminate the results, participants will need to include their creative and inventive thinking in these activities. The purpose of these activities is to better prepare them for future initiatives and events that they themselves will implement. In addition, the quality of the final product depends to a large extent on these activities and their dedication to produce a great document.
Eligible participants per country: 4 young motivated people from Bulgaria, Spain, Serbia, Romania, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Cyprus at the age of 13-24 and 1 group leader with no age limit, but 18+
Duration: 8 days + 2 more for the travelling
Working language: English.
Daily meals: Each day we`ll eat in the restaurants. Menu will be adapted to the dietary requirements of each participant. Breakfast is going to be from 8:30 till 9:30, lunch break is from 13:00 to 15:00 and dinner starts at 19:30.
Insurance & Health assistance: The insurance is a responsibility of each participant. The cost for issuing it will not be covered by the hosting organizations. Before coming to Bulgaria, you must issue and have valid European Health Insurance Card and Health Care insurance for the duration of the whole project!
Participant`s profile required:
- aged 13-24;
- English level (at least Medium level speaking and writing);
- Committed to contribute to the follow up of the project;
- Gender Balance have to be followed as much as possible (2 Male and 2 Female participant per country + the group leader);
- Be interested in developing competences and implement follow-up initiatives;
- Be aware of the characteristics of the learning environment (non-formal education);
The group of each country will be obligated to conduct dissemination events for other young people in their city/town, within 2 months at the end of the youth exchange.
Every participant is individually entitled to receive a Youthpass Certificate, which confirms participation and validates the non-formal learning (NFL) experience of Training course project. Validating the learning experiences of participants is important in itself and the document can be of benefit in terms of the educational or employment future of the participant. Through Youthpass the European Commission ensures the Training course activity is recognized as a non-formal learning experience.
(*For more information on Youthpass you may click on this page to check it online)
What to bring with you:
– Bring your hygiene products (shampoo, toothpaste, etc…).
– Bring comfortable clothes and shoes (we will walk).
– Each group should bring some food and drinks to represent their own country.
– Bring your national flag, magazines, postcards what will help you to introduce your country. – Bring your sending organization’s leaflets and any kind of information what you might have.
– Please, find a nice mug from your city/town/country and bring it to the project. On the first day we will make a lottery and you will get a cup that you can use the whole week and later bring home with you as a memory. Less plastic, more beauty!
– If you bring your laptop will be easier for working.
– And your good mood and positive attitude. This is the most important 🙂
Financial support & travel cost reimbursement:
Project is supported by “Erasmus+” program. Accommodation, meals, program and travel cost (based on distance) are covered from grant. 100% of the participants‘ travel costs will be reimbursed within the valid budget sums calculated according to the official rules of Erasmus+ programme. If a sum exceeds the limit, the excess will be paid by the participants themselves. The reimbursement limit is calculated per participant from the city of your sending organisation to Bulgaria and back via the Erasmus+ Distance calculator
The reimbursement will be conducted either to the partner organization or to one of the participants personal bank account. If the group decides on a reimbursement to a personal bank account, each one of them should sign declaration, confirming his will.
There will be only one bank account per country.
Important: In order to obtain reimbursement for the tickets, you need to follow these steps:
1) You need to present ALL THE TICKETS (that includes all the boarding passes), including RETURN TICKETS, which you will send after realization of the project, otherwise you will not be reimbursed.
2) You need to use PUBLIC TRANSPORT e.g. planes, trains, buses, trams or underground.
3) You need to depart from the country where your sending organization is.
4) It is recommended to make scans of tickets before your arrival in case you lose them. The reimbursement will be done only in Euros.
5) You must complete the dissemination activities and send to the organizers evidences of them (pictures, videos, written report, etc.). Could be one for the whole group or individual – the decision is up to each participant and national group.
About the venue:
Participants will be accommodated in double/triple rooms each one with single beds and separated by gender. Each of the elegantly furnished and functionally equipped rooms has a shower, W.C., a telephone with a direct dialing system, satellite TV, air-conditioning (in some of the rooms), central heating and Internet connection.
The menu will be adapted according to the diary requirements and the allergies of each participant. Therefore, it is highly important to fill in fully and correctly the application form, especially regarding that matter!!!
Food won’t be served, but will be provided as a buffet in order to minimize the food waste and decrease our carbon footprint. The mother Earth will really appreciate, if everyone of us pays close attention to the amount of food he/she takes. Food will never be over, so there won`t be any need to take a lot at once
Website of the hotel: http://www.zograf.tryavna.biz/
- Read carefully the Terms and Conditions you are agreeing with, when sending your application!
- Have a valid ID/International passport.
- Possess valid European Health Card and Health Care insurance for the whole duration of the project.
- Check the whole project documentation.
- Download, fill in and send to email@example.com electronically the application form, participant`s agreement and the parental agreement (in case you are under the age of 18)
*In order to fill them in, you should have Adobe Reader version 10 or higher – Adobe reader installer
- Bulgaria: “The Change is in You” Association (Facebook, website, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cyprus: Youth for Exchange and Understanding (Facebook, website, email@example.com)
- Latvia: Baltijas Reģionālais fonds (Facebook, website, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lithuania: AKTYVISTAI (Facebook, email@example.com)
- Poland: Żółta Owca (Facebook, firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Romania: Centrul de Voluntariat Reșița (Facebook, website, email@example.com)
- Serbia: Youth Cultural Center of Vojvodina (Facebook, website, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Spain: Associació per la mobilitat internacional i emprenedoria (Facebook, website, email@example.com)
In the title of the e-mail, write down the name of the project.
Empty emails will be deleted automatically